Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A week has passed since I wrote about little Domingo from Chiminisijuan. He is the 3 year old, severely malnourished child whose mom and two siblings accepted the Lord last week. He was there waiting yesterday for clinic with his mom. He at least cried when we weighed him and his mom says that he is beginning to eat (he was eating a bag of chips as they waited). When I asked how her husband was, she told me that he had come - so she called him in. He was sober and said that he had stopped drinking and given his life to Jesus this week. We rejoiced with them and then prayed for them - that God would give him the strength to resist when the temptation comes to drink again. Mom was beaming. God is so good!!





Monday afternoon we had a gentleman come into the clinic who was having difficulty breathing. We put an oximeter on to see what his oxygen level was and found that it was 60 (normal is 90 - 100 - 60 is an indication that he would not live long - hours maybe). We gave him some oxygen and talked with them only to find out that a doctor in Quiche told them a year ago that he had a spot on his lung and sent him home to die. He did not want to go to the hospital so we talked with him about Jesus. He was a Christian although his family all walked out the door when I began to talk with him about the Lord. He finally looked at me and said, "I am going to die, aren't I?" I said yes, that I thought he probably would not live very long but we talked about heaven and we prayed together. He cried and said he would miss his children so much. We sent him home with a small oxygen tank to use until his family could all get there. This afternoon, his family came to return the oxygen tank and to thank us for our prayers. It seems that he began to perk up when he got home and is no longer having any difficulty breathing. They understood that it could only have been the power of God that has given this gentleman life instead of death. I don't know how long he will live - he is elderly - but until he leaves this earth, I believe he will be testifying about the power and love of our God!





And a funny story... We live next door to a very sweet elderly couple. I recently went over to visit with Dona Reyna. Her cat began rubbing up against my legs so I asked her if he caught rats for her as I know firsthand that they have a large population living with them. We treated their son for an infected rat bite several years ago. She replied that he was a horrible mouser and that he would only eat them when she caught them and fried them in a little oil! It is at times like this that I realize our cultural differences are very great!



Our friend Adrienne is here for the month. She comes in and immediately steps in to help and keeps us in line. She is great and we are grateful that she continues to come each year. This will be a busy month here with lots of visitors and a team of young people from Washington. We are thankful for each one who comes to help and serve alongside of us!








No comments:

Post a Comment