Saturday, September 21, 2013

It's been a while....but we have two new grandchildren who safely arrived in the last two weeks! Thanks to God, both moms and both babies are healthy and beautiful!

Now that the babies are here, we find ourselves running from morning to night! With Katie on maternity leave and then afterward transitioning to director of the nursing school, I find myself again, managing clinics alone. I have lots of help from our Guatemalan assistants who are invaluable and from those who have come to help - Adrienne (biology teacher and an amazing manager/organizer) and Victoria (soon to be medical student who speaks Spanish) - so I am not really alone. Thursday we went up to our monthly clinic in Chumisa where we saw over 100 patients. As we were getting ready to leave and the first raindrops were beginning to fall (which makes the drive home slightly more treacherous!) another baby arrived who of course, was the sickest little one we had seen all day. He was breathing about 80 times a minute and his lips were blue. His lungs were filled with infection. We tried to give him the only thing we had to offer medically - an oral antibiotic - which he quickly vomited. We talked with his mom about how she needed to take him to the hospital as quickly as possible but she had to talk with her husband first. So we took her to her house and finally met her husband. After quite a bit of discussion, they decided to wait until they could borrow some money and then they would go - maybe - the next morning. My medical mind knew that he would probably not live until morning. But as we prayed that God would breath the breath of life into this little one, there was a flicker of hope that He would bring healing to these little lungs. I will not know the outcome until the next time we go up to Chumisa and possibly not even then, but I have to trust in that which I cannot see - a God who is so much bigger and more powerful and more loving than anything that I can even imagine - into His hands I trust this little one. I have to say that I didn't sleep much that night as I struggle trying to think of how else we could have helped this family but ultimately it becomes a matter of trust...
Isn't that how all of life is?

Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.  1 John 5:14, 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment