Thursday, May 27, 2010


We are celebrating here in Canilla, the completion of Abi's adoption! Last Friday we were finally given her birth certificate with her official name - Abigail Esperanza Ficker Ficker. In keeping with the Latin culture custom of taking both the father's and mother's last name, she is Abi Ficker Ficker...as if one Ficker were not enough! Now we start the next process of getting visa's and passports for both of the girls so that they can travel with us. We hope to be able to take a few weeks after Hannah's wedding to be at "home." It has been over 5 years since we have had time as a family, in the US.

Duane broke down last week and made a larger table for our dining room. It is one of my most challenging tasks each day to figure out how many will be at our table for lunch. Today it will be 18. Our good friends Oralia and Sebastian together with newly arrived missionaries, Vicki and Norm will be with us today from the orphanage in San Andres. When I think back on my "other life" in the US, I remember how stressed out I became if I had to cook for more than my family. Now I love hosting guests and sharing our table with friends. How God has changed me! Here in this culture, it is an honor to have visitors - announced or unannounced. So 18 may grow to 25... but relationship is so important here, so much more important than work accomplished.
Clinics have been really busy with lots of sick children. In Chiminisijuan especially we have had so many kids with pneumonia. They are so sick and need to be in the hospital but almost none will go. It is times like these, when we feel so inadequate with what we have to offer, that we learn to lean into God; when we begin to understand that all of our most valiant efforts amount to nothing if God doesn't show up; that only God can heal. So we do all that we can physically and then we pray, trusting ultimately in the power of God. "And He has said to me, "my grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness" Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me." 2 Corinthians 12:9. May His grace be sufficient for you today!

2 comments:

  1. WHOO HOOO! Yay for Abi Ficker Ficker! Wish we were there to have lunch with you! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the Ficker Ficker family!

    ReplyDelete