Monday, January 28, 2013

Every once in a while, we have a day when it seems like all of the children are very sick. Yesterday was one of those days. It seemed as if each child was struggling to breath with respiratory infections. Of course, our nutrition children are the ones most affected. Because their nutritional status is so compromised, they are susceptible to any infection that comes along. Respiratory infections remain the number 1 killer of children here, followed by the dehydration that comes with diarrhea. We quickly used up all of our "stronger" antibiotics as we saw child after child with this - probably viral - infection. Once this supply was gone, we were scrambling to try and figure out what to do. We had one bottle of zithromax left but it was an adult dose. To scale that down to give to a child weighing about 20 pounds was....more math than my brain could handle. We made an "emergency" call to Katie's mom - who is a pharmacist. She quickly did  the calculations for us and we were rolling again!  

One little girl - Fabiola - was especially sick. I appealed to her mother to take her to the hospital as she really needed oxygen. But she is alone caring for her children as her husband abandoned her when Fabiola was born. So we prayed first, entrusting her to the care of the Great Physician, and then we gave her all the oral medications that we could. As always, when we have days like this, I spend most of the night in prayer for these little ones. Only He has the power to heal and to save....

I am grateful to have Don - and all of the Allison's - here for a few weeks to help. With the announcement that Rachael Needham will not be returning (see her blog at mountainofmyrrh.blogspot.com), I have felt a little overwhelmed with the load of responsibility. But He is always faithful to supply all that we need...and I have learned to just take today and know that His grace is sufficient for the day.
" My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecution, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9,10

No comments:

Post a Comment