Friday, May 24, 2013

the widows

Yesterday, Leslie had to go to a meeting in Chichicastenango, so Aaron, Flor, the kids and I went up to Chiminisiguan for the widows' meeting. Primarily these meetings are a time to encourage each other, pray together, and collect and pay for the baskets they have made, hand out their food, and then bring the baskets back home to organize them to go out to you all!

So, we started out the meeting yesterday with a time where each of the women shared one thing that they were thankful for. This is something new for these soft-spoken women, and honestly, I didn't even know if they would say anything. But, as each one of them shared, I was humbled once again by the responses I heard.

"I am thankful for my life and health."
"I am thankful that God always protects us."
"I am thankful for this group of women and the source of income and food it has provided for us."
"I am thankful for the rain that grows our corn."

As several of them highlighted their thankfulness for the rain, I was reminded at what a raw and foundational level these women live their lives at. One woman not only thanked God for the rain, but gave a little 10 minute reminder to all of us how we could not live without the rain... it is life.

As we left afterwards, I felt my own spirits greatly lifted. We are in a time of big transitions here, and sometimes it is so easy to get caught up in and overwhelmed by all the little details that it involves. But, God has always been faithful to take care of us - as He has each of these women. Yesterday, I was  reminded that often my stress and worry comes more from the fact that I have stopped thanking Him for the ways He has unconditionally provided for us each day with everything that we need - food, clothing, shelter, rain, etc. - and instead am too busy trying to figure out details and pieces of a puzzle that are way too big for me to ever figure out anyway. It is so often in my life here that I find I take away from these people so much more than I can ever hope to offer.

Here are some pics of the women and the baskets. If you would like more info on this program, the widows, or how you can purchase your own basket, please check out the website www.adonaiinternationalministries.org or contact Leslie at Fickerfam@gmail.com.







No comments:

Post a Comment