Sunday, June 9, 2013

Flor, the young woman who works with us and who now does most of the prenatal ultrasounds, called me in yesterday to see a woman whose ultrasound did not "look right." We have known this woman over the years as a good mama who loves and cares for her children. She has seven children and was now pregnant with her 8th. Now in her sixth month, we could see that the baby's heart was not beating. There is always a moment of panic inside of me as I begin to pray, "how, Lord, do I tell this woman that her baby is dead?" It is said that there is no greater pain than to loose a child...I am sure that that is true. Sometimes women will know, they will sense, that something is wrong - but not this woman. I watched as she tried to process my words.... and we needed to repeat them several times. Finally, she said, "quiere ganas...." which roughly translates as "it takes courage." She did not scream or cry hysterically as some women within this culture do. But as we prayed, her silent tears flowed. Pray for her, pray that she has the courage to pass through the next few days and that the Lord will comfort her heart.
    "Fear not, for I have redeemed you:
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
    When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
        and when you pass though the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
    When you walk though the fire, you will not be burned;
       the flames will not set you ablaze.
    For I am the LORD, you God, the Holy One of Israel, you Savior...   Isaiah 43:2,3

No comments:

Post a Comment